If anyone knows the struggle of operating a US-based business from outside the US – it’s me. It has always been a hassle reaching a US audience internationally. I am here to make your job easier.
US phone numbers are used by businesses and individuals alike to make calls, receive calls, and communicate with others both domestically and internationally.
The need for a US phone number arises when you want to establish your business presence in the United States market, especially if you have clients based there. It helps create credibility among customers while also providing convenience in communication.
In this article, I will show you how to get a US phone number so you can smoothly communicate with your US-based clients.
5 Quick Steps on How to Get a US Phone Number
1. Select a Virtual Phone Number Provider:
- There are several providers that offer virtual phone numbers, such as Google Voice, RingCentral MVP, or Grasshopper.
- Compare their features and pricing to choose the best option for your needs.
2. Pick an Area Code or Toll-Free Number:
- If most of your clients are concentrated in a specific region, consider getting a local number specific to that region.
- Otherwise, you can get yourself a toll-free number (1-800) which can be dialed from anywhere in the country without any additional charges.,
3. Create an account and set up call forwarding:
- After selecting your preferred provider and choosing between local or toll-free numbers, create an account on their platform.
- Set up call forwarding so incoming calls are directed to either another existing phone line (such as mobile phones) or VoIP services like Skype.
4. Add Additional Features if Needed:
- Many virtual phone service providers offer extra functionalities like voicemail transcription, auto attendant systems (e.g., press one for sales…), call recording, etc.
- Consider adding these features based on your business requirements.
5. Distribute Your New Phone Number:
- Once everything is set up properly start sharing it with customers through marketing materials such as business cards, email signatures, and your website.
Remember: It’s essential to comply with the FCC regulations for phone numbers in the United States. This includes ensuring that your virtual number is not used for spam or other illegal activities.
Why you Should Use RingCentral MVP for a Virtual Number
When it comes to choosing a provider, RingCentral MVP stands out as the best in the market. With its robust features and reliable service, it’s no wonder why businesses of all sizes trust RingCentral for their communication needs.
Some of RingCentral MVP’s features:
- User-friendly interface: The platform offers an intuitive dashboard that makes managing your virtual phone numbers easy. You can quickly set up call forwarding, and call recording, and customize your settings with just a few clicks.
- Variety of local and toll-free numbers: Choose from a wide range of area codes across the United States or opt for a toll-free number to give your business a nationwide presence.
- Affordable pricing plans: With flexible pricing options available, you can select the plan that suits your budget without compromising on quality or functionality.
- Innovative features: Enjoy advanced capabilities like auto-attendant, voicemail-to-email transcription, conference calling, video meetings, team messaging and more – all designed to streamline communications within your organization.
If RingCentral does not suit your needs, I wrote an article listing its best substitutes.
Tips for Choosing Your Area Code
Selecting an appropriate area code is essential when setting up your new US phone number. Here are some factors to consider while choosing one:
- Pick an area code that represents where most of your clients are located; this helps build credibility among potential customers in those regions.
- If you have multiple locations across different states or cities in the US, consider getting multiple phone numbers with different area codes to cater to each location.
- Consider that specific area codes may be more widely known than others. For example, a number with the 212 (New York City) or 310 (Los Angeles) area code might have a greater impact on your business image.
Remember, having a reliable and feature-rich provider like RingCentral MVP for your US phone number is crucial for seamless communication and the overall success of your business.
With RingCentral MVP, you can make and receive calls, forward calls, record calls, and enjoy a host of other features that will help you stay connected with your customers and team members.
Why You Need a US Phone Number
If you’re a business owner based outside the United States but have clients or customers in the country, having a US phone number is crucial for your business to succeed.
It helps establish trust and credibility with your American audience by making it easier for them to make calls and receive calls. Here are some reasons why obtaining a US phone number should be on your priority list:
- Easier communication with US clients: A local or toll-free US phone number allows you to communicate seamlessly with clients in the United States.
They can easily reach out to you without worrying about international calling charges, which encourages more interaction between you and your customers.
- Increase your business presence in the United States market: Holding a virtual presence through an area code that corresponds to specific locations within the United States gives potential clients confidence that they are dealing with someone familiar with their region.
This gives your company an edge over rivals who don’t have this benefit, increasing the likelihood of customers selecting you.
- Better customer service experience: Research shows that people prefer contacting businesses using local numbers as opposed to international ones.
By providing a US-based contact number, you create an impression of being available locally, leading to better customer satisfaction rates.
- Savings on call costs: The use of virtual numbers enables cost-effective communication solutions such as call forwarding and call recording at affordable rates compared to traditional telephony systems.
- Expand your business with local area codes: With a US phone number, you can choose from various area codes, allowing you to target specific regions within the country.
This helps in expanding your business reach and creating a localized presence in multiple locations.
To summarize, obtaining a US phone number is essential for businesses looking to expand their operations into the United States market.
What You Need to Know About Getting a US Phone Number
Understanding Area Codes and Formats:
In the United States, phone numbers consist of 10 digits: three-digit area codes followed by seven-digit local numbers. The area code represents the geographic region where the call originates or terminates, while the local number identifies individual lines within that region.
Note: Codes like toll-free (e.g., 800) and premium-rate (e.g., 900) numbers are different from regional area codes.
Toll-Free vs Local Numbers
Toll-free numbers, such as those starting with 800 or other similar prefixes (888, 877), allow callers from anywhere in the country to reach your business without being charged long-distance fees. This makes them ideal for customer support services or national marketing campaigns.
Local numbers, on the other hand, use regular area codes tied to specific regions – making it easier for customers nearby to identify your location at first glance. They can help build trust with regional clientele but may not be as effective for businesses targeting a broader audience.
Virtual Phone Numbers
Virtual phone numbers are not tied to physical lines or devices, but instead, route calls through the internet using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology.
This enables you to have a US-based number without actually being located in the country. Services like Google Voice and RingCentral MVP offer virtual numbers with features such as call forwarding, call recording, and more – making them an ideal choice for businesses operating remotely or internationally.
5 Troubleshooting Tips for Setting Up Your US Phone Number
Setting up a US phone number is not too complicated, but sometimes you could run into some issues throughout the process. Don’t worry. We’ve got your back with these troubleshooting tips to ensure a smooth setup process.
1. Verify that your provider supports US numbers: Not all virtual phone number providers offer US numbers, so double-check if yours does before proceeding. If not, consider switching to a service like RingCentral MVP, which specializes in providing local and toll-free numbers in the United States.
2. Select an appropriate area code: When choosing your new phone number, make sure you pick an area code that corresponds to the region where most of your clients are located. This will help establish trust and familiarity with potential customers.
3. Check for compatibility issues: Ensure that both sides of the conversation can handle specific types of communication (e.g., VoIP) without any difficulty by verifying similar protocols and codecs. Make sure both ends of the call support the same protocols and codecs to avoid any connectivity problems.
4. Incorporate essential features: A good virtual phone system should include features such as call forwarding, call recording, voicemail transcription, and more. Ensure that your chosen provider offers these functionalities so you can make full use of your new US number.
5. Troubleshoot connection issues: If you’re experiencing poor audio quality or dropped calls when using services like Google Voice or other VoIP platforms, check for possible network congestion or bandwidth limitations on either end of the conversation.
6. Contact customer support: You should contact your provider’s customer service if you are still facing any issues. They can help diagnose and fix any problems you may be experiencing with setting up or using your US phone number.
More Things to Consider While Setting Up Your US Phone Number
First and foremost, double-check that all of your personal and business details are accurate when signing up for a virtual phone number service like RingCentral MVP. This will help avoid any issues down the line.
Once you have set up call forwarding, make test calls to ensure they’re being routed correctly. Check your configuration if something is wrong, then make the necessary changes.
If you’re experiencing poor audio quality during calls, check both your internet connection speed and device compatibility with the chosen provider’s system requirements.
For help, contact the provider’s customer service. If using Wi-Fi, move closer to the router or consider upgrading the router firmware. If using mobile data, check signal strength and switch between LTE/4G/3G networks if necessary.
If you require call recording functionality, double-check that it’s activated in your account settings. Some providers may charge extra for this feature.
Finally, be aware of any limitations or restrictions associated with your virtual phone number plan, such as the number of minutes allowed per month. Monitor usage to avoid unexpected charges or service interruptions.
If you need assistance, your provider’s customer support team is available to provide a smooth setup and usage of your US phone number.
How to Legally Obtain a US Phone Number
This is fairly easy, to get a US phone number there are virtual phone service providers like RingCentral, Grasshopper, and Phone.com that offer various plans and features to suit your needs. Choosing a reputable provider that complies with regulations and offers reliable customer support is important.
Who Can Get a US Phone Number?
Anyone can get a US phone number, regardless of their location or nationality. Virtual phone service providers enable individuals and businesses worldwide to acquire local or toll-free numbers in the United States without any physical presence in the country.
Can Non-US Citizens Get a US Phone Number?
Yes, non-US citizens can obtain an American telephone number through virtual telephony services such as RingCentral MVP. These VoIP providers teach users from around the globe how to get a US phone number.
How to Get a Free Virtual US Number
While some virtual telephony services like Google Voice may offer limited-time promotions for free trials, most providers require payment for continued usage after trial periods end. It’s essential to thoroughly research available options before committing long-term to ensure optimal value and reliability.
With your new US phone number, you can make and receive calls, use call forwarding and recording features, and more.
Securing a US phone number is essential for entrepreneurs who desire to extend their customer base and operate more proficiently. With RingCentral MVP, obtaining a US phone number has never been easier.
Follow the steps outlined in this guide that show you how to get a US phone number quickly and easily. We’ve also highlighted some benefits of having a US phone number and provided troubleshooting tips for any issues that may arise during setup.